Why we need a Better Solution for Our Drinking Water . . .
And why we need it NOW.
The Alarming and Unavoidable Facts about Bottled Water
and the Environment
- The fact is that people pay from $1 to $4 per gallon for the perception
of higher quality, when in fact the quality of bottled water is at best unknown!
Over 90% of the costs of bottled water is in the bottle, lid and label. Source:
Bottled Water Blues
- 86% of plastic water bottles used in the United States become garbage or litter. That means less than 15% are recycled. Source: Earth Policy Institute
- Manufacturing 29 BILLION plastic bottles used for water in the United States each year requires the equivalent of more than 17 MILLION barrels of crude oil. Source: Earth Policy Institute
- After testing 1,000 bottles of water, 33% had bacterial contamination, synthetic organic chemicals including industrial solvents, and inorganic contaminants, such as arsenic. Source: Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)
- As much as 40% of all bottled water comes from a city water system, just like tap water. The report also focuses on the fact that 60% to 70% of all bottled water sold in the U.S. is exempt from the FDA’s bottled water standards. Source: Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)